A Tale Magnolious - Hardcover
A Tale Magnolious
Author Suzanne Nelson
Fans of Kate DiCamillo and Katherine Applegate will warm to this story of an orphan and an elephant who band together to save a lovelorn town, relying on an eccentric crew and a couple of miracles along the way.
Nitty Luce is an orphan--and a thief. Magnolious is an elephant--and a fugitive. When the two misfits come face to face in the middle of a blinding dust storm, they form an immediate bond.
But with Nitty hiding a stolen pouch of gleaming green seeds and Mag mere moments from being hanged, the two don't have much time to get to know each other. Escaping into the storm, they end up on a barren farm in Fortune's Bluff, a town withered by a decade of dust storms. While most would be deterred by the farm's curmudgeonly owner, Windle Homes, Nitty sees past his harsh exterior. She promises to bring the farm back to life--with the help of Mag and those little green seeds.
Soon enough, Nitty and Mag are harvesting their first crop, and they're quickly the talk of the town. But as the townspeople become hopeful, the Mayor Neezer Snollygost becomes suspicious.
Will Nitty and Mag be able to save Fortune's Bluff and make a new, safe home for themselves? Doing so might just take a miracle...
- Author: Suzanne Nelson
- Age Range: 8 - 12 years
- Grade Level: 3 - 7
- Lexile Measure: 0850
- Hardcover: 368 pages
- Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers (June 18, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1984831747
- ISBN-13: 43
- Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 1.2 x 8.5 inches
- "Readers will be delighted by this effervescent story full of adventure, heart, and a dash of magic."-School Library Journal
- "This beautiful story...shows the power of hope and love even in dire circumstances. Nelson's ingenious young characters, wise adults, enriched vocabulary, tongue-in-cheek humor, and understanding of the elephant's feelings make this perfect for reading aloud."-Booklist
- "A beautifully written fantasy allegory with comic grace notes."-Kirkus Reviews